Friday, November 27, 2009

Mistakes and Lessons Learned!


I got some really bad advice from a garden shop guy to put some hydrated lime in my system so the plants would get some much needed nutrients. It instantly killed the 4 gold fish I had. I'm also thinking it killed my beneficial bacteria so I could be waiting for the nitrogen cycle to get established again (3-4 weeks).

*Edit* I later found out that Hydrated lime is actually excellent for raising PH. Its strong stuff so be careful and I would just use a teaspoon if you have under 20 gal system like me and then test the PH.

Ironite - I would not recommend using ironite in aquaponics - it turned my pristine white roots into a brown grey mess. At least it didn't kill the fish. If your gonna add anything use Maxicrop Seaweed extract.

I flushed the whole system with clean water and then added hydroponics liquid nutirents (many Aquaponics pros say you don't actually need to add anything once the system is over 6 months old.) Which is what I probably should have done in the first place but I really wanted to see if I could grow stuff with just fish water.

1 comment:

  1. Hello bro, iam new in aquaponics sys i'm building a new one for providing tomatos but honestly i have no idea to add iron or magnizium or others salts ,can u please help me so i can provide good tomatos without killing my fishs this is my email : lalaabdallah@gmail.com ,thank you

    ReplyDelete